25th Jun 2018

BMA CALLS FOR MORE ANTI-SCALD EDUCATION AFTER 79-YEAR-OLD MAN DIES AFTER FALLING INTO A SCALDING HOT BATH

 “This is another avoidable death reminding us all that it is a shocking fact that people die in the bathroom from scalding accident,” said Yvonne.  “Scalding is deadly serious and the very young and the very old are the most vulnerable, as this case shows.”

The Romford pensioner is believed to have fallen while getting showered, accidently knocking the hot tap which poured scalding water onto his leg. He was unable to stand up and lay helpless for hours, which led to loss of fluid so severe he suffered kidney failure and died in hospital nine days later.

Yvonne says, “This could so easily have been prevented with a relatively inexpensive bathroom product with a built-in thermostatic device.

“Our campaign Hot Water Burns like Fire, which is supported by Amanda Redman MBE, has been designed to educate the public about the dangers and we have been lobbing within the industry for the mandatory inclusion of anti-scald devices.  Basic TMV2 or TMV3 compliant valves would prevent further tragedies like this.

“We know we have our members behind us, but we must remain vigilant and encourage others to support our campaign and raise awareness to eradicate these unnecessary deaths.”

< back